I am using this blog to chart my journey as I get involved with stitched textiles again after a gap of twenty odd years. I've tried once or twice recently to get started, but time - the lack of it - got in my way. Now seems right though, and this online diary will be my reminder not to let it slip through my fingers again.
Wish me luck.

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Twilight

I've just been re visiting an old friend tonight - this piece I made, once upon a time. It came about because of a vintage ball of wool someone gave me. Pure wool in black, but with a multi coloured lurex thread running through it. It sounds pretty naff but it wasn't. It was circa 1950 and was quite magical. The dense black of the wool contrasted with the hints of light from the lurex.
I really wanted to use it in some way and constructed a colour scheme of predominantly black but with areas of intense colour like the yarn.
I wanted to contrast scale and texture so there were three different scales of canvas involved, as well as quilted satin and black wool fabric.


The said ball of wool appears throughout the piece, although in the photos it just looks like points of light. The reproduction is poor because it has been scanned from the page of a book. (Inspired to Stitch by Wendy Lees).

I'm thinking that I've been a bit mean to myself keeping to white for my first new piece. It's very tempting to work in some colour, but I'm going to stick by my decision and stay with monochrome.
Coming soon......This is just procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment