Time, where does it go?
Not enough hours in the day. I ran on empty for a few days ( and nights) at the end of last week, but finally lack of sleep caught up, and I stopped functioning in a rational way, and had to go to bed early last night.
The problem is being self employed. It becomes almost impossible to create a sensible work/life balance, as they say.
Especially when it starts to get busy, like now. I could probably work 24 hours a day, if my mind and body allowed, and I still would be running to catch up.
But some things have improved.
1. The workshop is tidy for once, which allows a certain degree of control rather than the usual chaos.
2. I am trying to keep to a simplified work plan. One order at a time, completed and dispatched before the next one is started.
3. And still the ten minutes a day rule for my embroidery. I've been using those minutes to plan in my head rather than do anything definite as yet. But it's never far from my mind, which is good.
4. And despite the lack of sleep, I seem to have an unusual amount of energy and stamina. I think it's because we have upped the production a level or so ( this is our business I'm talking about - Embroidered Originals ). This usually happens around now. The first few months of the year are quiet in comparison the the second half, which we have now entered. Each year I say that we have to build up stocks in the early part to help us cope with the busy times, and each year we run headlong into pandemonium and the stockpile melts away.
5. So if I can apply some of this new found energy to my own embroidery as well....
6. I think the answer for now is to try to produce some small pieces, which can be finished in a realistic time, and use them as stepping stones. I don't imagine there will be any theme running through them as yet. I'm still at the experimenting stage, so each one might have a different direction. But that's how you learn and develop, isn't it?
KIDS DESIGN - mini boden - I'm returning to Spring Summer childrenswear design today with some fun new arrivals at Mini Boden. This super hero rabbit is particularly sweet and is par...
8 hours ago